Get the workout you want with aquatic fitness! Try water workouts for cross training and variety. With simple changes in personal tempo, range-of-motion and length of levers, any class can be tailored to your fitness level
There is no charge for members to attend any of the water group fitness classes and no registration is required. Just show up and be ready take the plunge and try a great workout!
Water Fitness Facts
- Swimming skills are not necessary to participate in water fitness classes.
- Water offers 12 times the resistance of air.
- In the water, equipment can be used to increase the intensity and effectiveness of your workout. At PLF we use Aqua Fins, barbells, noodles, bands, belts, kickboards, steps and more.
- A personal one-on-one water fitness orientation is available to PLF members to help you get a great start in the water.
- Aquatic Personal Training is now available. This is an effective way to take your fitness to a new level. Contact the Aquatic Director for details.
- Water shoes are recommended for all water classes, with the exception of Master Swim and Swim Team, for support and protection.
- Your body cools faster because the water temperature is lower than your body temperature.
- During shallow-water workouts, your heart rate will compare to the same on land.
- Deep-water workouts will allow you to work at a higher intensity with a lower heart rate. Hydrostatic pressure and your heart under the water level will allow the heart to work more efficiently at a lower rate.
- It is a good idea to wear a heart rate monitor to know your exact heart rate. This will encourage you to work at the appropriate intensity.